Director of Centro de Investigación, Estudios y Desarollo de Ingeniería (CIEDI)
Facultad de Ingenierías y Ciencias Agropecuarias (FICA)
Calle José Queri s/n entre Av. Granados y Av. Eloy Alfaro.
Universidad de Las Américas, Quito, Ecuador.
Phone: 00 593 (2) 3981000, Ext. 823
I have conducted research in the fields of Plant Pathology, Molecular Plant Biology, Genetics and Biotechnology. My work has focused on the development of diagnostic systems for viruses and viroids of plants employing techniques such as:
- Immunochemical and molecular biology of plants and pathogens;
- Development of diagnostic systems for viruses and viroids of plants
- Characterization of crops of economic interest by molecular markers and analysis of differential gene expression in response to biotic stress;
- Genetic engineering of plants and bacteria; and
- Biological validation of plant bio-stimulants.
As a result of this work I have gained experience in the use, implementation and experimental design of:
- Conventional and real-time PCR,
- Nucleic acids hybridization both radioactive and non-radioactive,
- DNA microarrays,
- Plant and bacterial transformation by genetic engineering,
- Imuno-enzymatic assays,
- DNA molecular markers,
- DIC and fluorescent microscopy, among others.
In addition, I am familiar with establishing and conducting national and international projects incl. the supervision and direction of undergraduate and postgraduate students, and in establishing interdepartmental, interdisciplinary relationships within the international academic and scientific community.