Ruth Magdalena Lopéz Ulloa, Ph.D.
Centro de Investigación, Estudios y Desarrollo de Ingeniería (CIEDI)
Facultad de Ingenierías y Ciencias Agropecuarias (FICA)
Calle José Queri s/n entre Av. Granados y Av. Eloy Alfaro.
Universidad de Las Américas, Quito, Ecuador.
Phone: 00 593 (2) 3981000
Research Interests & Skills
My research has focused on natural resources soil, water and their interactions with biodiversity, ecosystems conservation and agricultural production. I have particular research interests in:
- Effects of change in land use and climate on carbon sequestration in soils (stabilization mechanisms) and carbon biomass.
- Effects of soil type and land use in the processes of erosion, sedimentation, and carbon sequestration.
- Studies on water quality and the relationship to filtration functions by soils.
- Effects of climate change on ecosystems.
- Quantification of environmental ecosystems services.
- Studies of fertilizer use efficiency in different crops through the use of stable and radioactive isotopes.
Bachelor of Chemical Engineering (1983)
Universidad Central del Ecuador, Faculty of Engineering
Quito D.M., Ecuador
Professional Experience (2009-2014)
March 2012-May 2013: Metropolitan Public Enterprise for Airport Services, Municipality of Quito.
Director for Control of Environmental Management
- Responsible for environmental aspects of the closure of Aeropuerto Internacional Mariscal Sucre (AIMS)
- Development of the Closure Plan and general abandonment of AIMS.
- Ex post study of environmental impact of old airport of D.M. Quito.
- Environmental control of the initiation and operation of the new airport in Quito.
Jan 2010-July 2011: National Secretariat of Higher Education, Science, Technology and Innovation
Undersecretary for Scientific Research
- Management and leadership in the formulation of policies, plans and projects in science, technology, innovation and technology transfer.
- Monitoring, follow-ups, and evaluation of ex ante and ex post projects.
- Development of projects for scientific research, technological development and innovation.
- Formation of the national information system on science, technology and innovation.
- Secure funding for in scientific research, technological development and innovation at the national level in areas of natural resources (water, soil, biodiversity), energy, bio-knowledge, environment, social development, agricultural development, assessment risk , communication technologies and information.
- Establishment of national and regional networks of scientific research.
- Integration of a Climate Change Network among universities.
- Development of internal work procedures.
MAY 2007-AUG 2010: Municipality of Quito, Metropolitan Environmental Management.
Director of the Municipal Environmental Directorate, Coordinator for Planning of the Secretariat of Productivity and Competitiveness (AUG 2010).
Coordinator for Dissemination and Development of Environmental Projects executed by Zonal Administration. Head of Planning, Coordinator of Environmental Controls (Issuance and monitoring of environmental licensing, environmental auditing, and guides of practice for all projects and activities executed for the metropolitan district of Quito) (JUL 2009).
- Management of the Municipal Environmental Preparation of annual operational and budgetary plans
- Preparation and development of environmental and natural resource conservation projects: soils, water, biodiversity.
- Monitoring/ Follow-up and control of environmental management projects/ activities by zonal coordinators.
- Coordination of the preparation of "Quito's Strategy towards Climate Change" - programs for adaptation and mitigation, creation of a new work group "Climate Change Unit".
- Linkages with other institutions to achieve a level of cooperation agreements and execution of research and development.
- Control and promotion within industries for the implementation of Cleaner Production.
- Schoorl J.M., L. Claessens, M. Lopez-Ulloa, F.G.H. de Koning, A.Veldkamp. 2006. Geomorphological Analysis and Scenario Modelling in the Noboa-Pajan Area, Manabi Province, Ecuador. Geomorph.N.F, Vol 145.Pp 105-108.
- de Koning G.H.J., R. Olschewski, E. Veldkamp, P. Benítez, M. López-Ulloa , T. Schlichter, M. de Urquiza, 2005. The ecological and economic potential of carbon sequestration in forests; Examples from South America. Ambio 34(3): 224-229.
- López-Ulloa, M. , E. Veldkamp, G.H.J. de Koning, 2005. Soil carbon stabilization in converted tropical pastures and forests depends on soil type. Soil Science Society of America Journal 69:1110-1117, doi:10.2136/ sssaj2004.0353.
- Tylianakis, J., Veddeler, D., Lozada, T., López, R.M. , Benítez, P., Klein, A.M., de Koning, G.H.J., Olschewski, R., Veldkamp, E. & Tscharntke, T., 2004. Biodiversity in coastal Ecuador and bioindication using trap-nesting bees, wasps, and their natural enemies. Lyonia 6(2): 7-15.
- de Koning G.H.J., E. Veldkamp, M. López-Ulloa , 2003. Quantification of carbon sequestration in soils following pasture to forest conversion in north-western Ecuador. Global Biogeochemical Cycles 17(4): p 56-67.